An off grid solar system is exactly what it sounds like – it is a completely independent power island – isolated from a power grid – think hunting or fishing camp. While there are homeowners who choose to go ‘off-grid’, it is a lifestyle most will not favor and is generally unwarranted, even for the hardest core environmentalist – meaning you can generate 100% of your own power without going off grid.
An off grid solar system uses various components to generate power from the sun, and in some cases, a micro wind turbine may be used, to charge a battery bank that in turn powers the entirety of the household.
If you’re thinking of opting for off grid solar, please contact us to discuss the factors that must be considered in the design of such a system… the list below will give you a head start
- list of each device/ appliance for which you need power
- the power draw of each device in watts or amps
- the voltage requirement of each device, i.e. 12-volts DC, 120-volts AC etc
- the number of hours per day that each device will require power
- the number of consecutive days that each device will require power
- the peak power draw at any given moment in watts or amps
- the location where you intend to operate the system, i.e. name of State and nearest City
- the time of year that you intend to operate the system
- how many days of poor weather or poor sunshine for which you would need to be prepared
- estimate of your budget
- the range of temperatures in the location where you intend to operate your system